Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Whitest Boy Alive - Rules


Long-awaited around these parts, Erlend Oye and his boys are back with the follow-up to the scandalously good Dreams. Rules, released yesterday and bought with real money by me today, has the excitement surrounding their London gig on April 16 at fever pitch (sorry Eoin). Deliciously plucky basslines incessently punctuate the album, providing a rhythm that forces one to bop along, grinning. The other ubiquitous joy is Oye's vocal, which is, as always spot on. The man is a genius. Or God. Maybe he's God.
The pure funk of Courage, the dimly-lit lounge room vibe of Rollercoaster Ride and Gravity, the sunny toe-tapper 1517* are among my highlights after a first listen. To be honest, it's all good. I'm so bloody happy about the whole thing that I'll post two mp3's.


The Whitest Boy Alive- Courage
The Whitest Boy Alive- Gravity



http://www.whitestboyalive.com/



*At times I think I can sense a bit of a sample** from "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" in this one. Am I dreaming??
** Metaphysical question of the day: When an acoustic band has a sound that mimics that of an electronic act, can it really be called a sample??

The Whitest Boy Alive play La Scala, London, Thurs April 16

No comments:

Post a Comment