Saturday, January 24, 2009

LIVE: Hockey, Passion Pit, Whelans, March 01


Passion Pit have already been touted as a tip for 2009 here by Ed. The excitement being stirred up around these guys is so excessive that it has left me sceptical as to how good they can be, but in any case I am open to suggestion. Sleepyhead is certainly a catchy number, and something tells me it has the potential to be this year's MGMT-style dancefloor filler. But overall I'm yet to believe the hype.

Hockey, while commanding less column inches, are certainly demanding plenty of my listening time. Work has the subtle elements of a Whitest Boy Alive song, the synth-driven funk of Too Fake is reminiscent of the best James Murphy has to offer, while Song Away is just a glorious eighties throwback.

If I was backing either of these two bands, I imagine Passion Pit will be a bigger band, simply due to the self-fulfilling hype that surrounds certain bands every January. As for quality, I would put my house on Hockey laughing loudest and last.

Tickets can be bought here

Hockey MySpace
Passion Pit Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment