Friday, March 7, 2008

SPEAK YOUR BRAINS: Irish Music Mags

Fascinating debate over on Jim Carroll's blog here


Here were my two centimes:

Those who criticised Mongrel above simply don’t get it. Their reviews (and I’m thinking James Blunt here, which, as it happens, is still blu-takked to our kitchen door) were fucking hilarious, and that was primarily their function. Although some reviews were stunningly concise in their accuracy: on the recent Rilo Kiley record - “If this album was a person I’d want to sleep with it”. Their more ‘abstract’ reviews this week are phenomenally funny - go forth and read, people.
It will be fascinating to see how Eoin Butler’s articles pan out in the Irish Times. It is imperative that he be left with as much autonomy as possible. The very nature of his writing is otherwise at risk. I still enjoyed reading it last Saturday mind.

As for Foggy Notions, it’s sad to hear of its (temorary-ish) end. Someone above mentioned the fact that it constantly endorsed the music it covered. Indeed it did, is it not a good idea to exclusively cover the likes of Beruit, Pantha du Prince et al? It lends itself to wonderfully optimistic and non-authoritative tone, mainly due to the omission of coverage of shit music. I often saw it as Small Hours put to print. On the subject, Donal Dineen’s FN CD last summer was one of the most beautifully atmospheric and coherent compilations I’ve ever heard.

Re: The Hot Press Stuff. I subscribed to it in 2003. The political radicalism of their op-ed was fiery and refreshing. The features, interviews and writing were all of a high standard (Udell, Murphy, Tyaransen, Glendenning, I think), and it generally served as a decent companion to undergrad life.

Then I bought it last week. Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment