Monday, December 15, 2008

U2 3D

I finally got the chance to see U2 3D last week. The people at the Imax in Darling Harbour had kept me waiting for nearly 3 months with a vague promise that the film would be returning to its gigantic(biggest in the world no-less) screen soon. I would not claim to be a huge U2 fan, I like them and their music but would not consider myself a die-hard at all. I was, however, blown away by their flirtation with 3D technology. I have to take my hat off to them for experimenting and stating that they were not interested in making a profit but simply trying something new (It did, of course, go on to make a profit). The result looks and sounds amazing. Whatever your opinions on Bono might be, he is a showman and not many others can command a stadium filled to the rafters with as much ease as he manages. He insisted on shooting the footage in Latin America as the fans' passion most resembled that of the Irish fans. I reckon this concert film will live on long to remember an era when the biggest band in the world* hailed from a little island on the verge of western Europe. I felt goosebumps quiet often while watching and also a sense of pride in seeing the crowd bellowing out the Irish quartet's best known tracks. It was a very satisfying music experience and I would have to agree with many critics who feel it is even better than the real thing. Sorry, couldn't resist.

*is that a fair comment?

No comments:

Post a Comment