Friday, August 15, 2008

Buenos Aires - Gig Previews


It was with great sadness that I stepped aboard Avianca Flight AV0092 in Bogota airport on Tuesday evening. I had said goodbye to 5 good travel companions and friends over the course of the previous week. I also had to leave the best country I have ever visited. The people:the friendliest, the women:the hottest, the weather:had everything but mostly good, the clubbing:excellent and as for the predicted danger:non-existent. Colombia is a subject, and country, I will return to shortly so I'll leave it at that for now. In the meantime, I was on the way to Buenos Aires.

Buenos Aires is an amazing city and it is for that reason that I choose to return here on the departure of my fellow backpackers. I had a pretty good knowledge of what to expect from BA and was lured back by Steak, Quilmes, Techno, Drum and Bass, and of course the women. I really could not believe my luck when I did a little research into what was going on over the weekend. What a way to blow away any gloom post-Colombia.

Friday 15/08/2008: Martin Eyerer @ Bahrein

Discard the fact that he is behind some of the cheesier music you've heard over the last couple of years(think Dj Sammy), Martin Eyerer has worked with some of the highest quality producers in the world. He has shared a studio with Gui Boratto and Oliver Klein amongst others, the latter is on remix duties on his current release on Kling Klong 'Furthermore'.
He has recently played at Berlin's Love Parade and at Dance Valley so his arrival in Buenos Aires is hotly anticipated judging by some of the reactions on Argentinian music forums. I have always kept an eye out for, and played some of, his tracks so I'm looking forward to this one.


Saturday 16/08/2008: Hell's Club on Tour with Mau Mau, Pil Marques and Carla Tintore @ Cocoliche

Voted Buenos Aires' best club by the worthy members over at Resident Advisor it has to get the nod for Saturday night. Cocoliche will be a welcome change from Pacha on a Saturday night. I'm expecting a true underground experience amongst Argentina's finest. Hell's club, based in Sao Paulo, Brazil, is regarded as one of South America's best club nights. This should be a highlight of my return to the Argentinian capital.



Sunday 17/08/2008: Dillinja @ Bahrein

To celebrate clubnight +160's 6th birthday the drum and bass crew are flying in Valve Recordings boss man Dillinja in to shake the place to pieces. Owner of the legendary Valve Sounsystem and self proclaimed purveyor of "Bad Ass Bass", Dillinja gigs should come with a stern health warning: "Bring ear-plugs".


Wednesday 20/08/2008: Florian Meindl @ Wacha, Bahrein

This one caught me by surprise. A huge name on the undergound scene Florian Meindl is rapidly becoming one of the world's most respected Djs, producers and label boss. I have been hoping to see this guy for a while and having missed his recent visits to Dublin, I cannot believe my luck in happening upon this gig. I had planned to move on to another city on Monday until I saw this listing and promptly changed my plans. If you don't know this guy, get to know him.




Thursday 21/08/2008: DFA sounds with Rub 'n Tug @ Cocoliche

I hope to be still alive at this stage and if so I will be making a return trip to Cocoliche to see New York's Rub n' Tug. Regulars at London's Fabric these guys have shared the stage with heavyweights such as Ricardo Villalobos. They are due to perform at The Warehouse Project with Erol & Friends at Picadilly Train Station, London in November. These are guys are behind Fabric 30 in the legendary mix series. If that isn't enough of an endorsement, I don't know what is. Dublin/New York's Shitrobot continues the DFA sounds residency in Cocoliche on September 18th. His track "Chasm" featured as one of our BSITWT recently.

Despite the fact that I've entered the solo leg of my travels, I know that I will be amongst good people at each of these 5 nights.

1 comment:

  1. listen to "Memento"

    http://www.myspace.com/martineyerer

    well spotted wardy, serious DJ

    ReplyDelete